Gheorghe Curelet-Balan Blog

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Words matter.

My last post could give the wrong impression that I'm supporting conflict resolution through violence. Some could even speculate that I don't appreciate Italy's win. Hey, how can I not appreciate the performance of Romanians' Latin cousins? I think though that no team showed real soccer class (no offence intended to anybody). I really like soccer since besides physical endurance, intelligent tactics and strategies, soccer is an art where as any team sport, individual dribbling and the anticipation of team players and competitors moves, gives its beauty. That is why I think that humans will win the soccer game over robots.

Everybody is appalled by Zidane's action (some are joking about it) but few care on what caused it. I agree that staying cool is a strength but I'm wondering if the rules of the game should not be changed. How about using the technology to record and make public what it is said in the field and issuing eventually "trash cards". If we want to punish the non-endurance to trash words why not punish also the player's lack of strength of not trashing?

As I said before, words matter in the natural world. This is also true at a lower level of the physical world as it was proven in one of PI's public lectures. It looks like talking about the physical reality, changes it. So, I'm wondering why words should not matter in the sports world?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home